Strolling down Morris Avenue this week (above, looking west between Richard Arrington Blvd. and 20th Street North) it was a pleasant surprise to smell roasted peanuts–a familiar smell here for over 100 years. As we reported a couple months ago, the Peanut Depot (founded 1907) has moved to the booming Parkside District; it was the last wholesale/retail food business left on Morris Avenue, which in the late 19th and early 20th Street had been the center for this local trade. Now, it seems that while Parkside (and nearby Region’s Field) will be enjoying Peanut Depot peanuts, the new Peanut Place business is carrying on the legacy on Morris Avenue.
As it turns out, the Peanut Depot rented the space and much of the equipment; when they departed, the building’s owners decided to keep roasting and boiling peanuts with the same antique roasters, in the same space, with the same old-fashioned simplicity (one of the owners pictured above). We look forward to Peanut Place enticing passerby with that delicious aroma for many more years to come!