It’s time to get up and do something. Explaining and garnering interest is one thing; sometimes the hard part is corralling all this interest into a cogent plan for moving forward. Many readers have asked “what can I do?” to help prevent the lovely Fire Station No. 22 (and its neighbor Bogue’s Restaurant) from being demolished and redeveloped into a Walgreen’s drugstore and parking lot–and drive-through. While I don’t have all the answers, here are some suggestions:
1. Media pressure. Set up a facebook page, write letters to the editor, get local TV and print coverage: then the City would feel the heat.
2. Petition the City with a long list of citizens great and small, opposed to this particular development.
3. Propose an alternative use for the site that preserves, rather than demolishes.
5. Grow the cause — make up some cheap posters/yard signs that could direct people to the facebook page for more info (for personal yards and maybe even at the Firehouse itself : SAVE ME!)
6. Show up at the next Design Review (I will confirm in a later post when this is) — with things to say, ready to address the committee, and talk to the media there.
I am hardly a community organizer — if there is an individual out there (this could be you!!) who has the time to spearhead this effort — I am all ears and all the folks who have gotten up in arms about this would be SO grateful.
All of the above could be basically applied to the Chick-Fil-A situation in Five Points as well.
Take change into your hands folks, and let’s get something done in a positive way for this City!